Cizgi Pro Loader Logo

Share
Share
tr
Ese Kapi Mosque
Description

Ese Kapi Mosque

In the second half of the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent (1520-66), Vezir Hadim Ibrahim Pasha built a mosque, a madrasah and a school in the Isa Kapı neighborhood in Istanbul. According to the building lists of Mustafa Sai, the masjid and the madrasa are the works of Mimar Sinan.

The Masjid, the madrasa and the school were partly destroyed in 1648 and repaired shortly after. The most damaged items were the masjid’s minaret, facade walls and fire place of the eight cells. In 1741, a fountain was built adjacent to the wall surrounding the courtyard by chief white eunuch, Ahmet Aga. Before 1769, "Salih Ali Efendi, the majordomo in the secratary of chief", added a minbar to the mosque. The Masjid and the madrasah were in good state until the end of the 19th century, but they were highly damaged in the earthquake in 1894 and left abandoned.

  • Date2009
  • LocationFatih, Istanbul, Turkey
  • Building TypeRegistered Monumental Building
  • CategoryArchitectural Survey, Restitution, Restoration Project
  • Project Site Area1350 m²
  • ArchitectTaksim Yapı
Back To Projects